Entry Seventy Five: Hello I'm over here now 👋

 Why hello! This week did not turn out at all how I expected it to, but the good Lord has been providing every step of the way. I hope this week has been great for you though! 


So in short I've had an emergency transfer, and I am now with the Lakeway Elders in a trio. I'll share that story via excerpts from my journal entries this week, but in the meantime here's the other things that happened:

 ☆ We had the final zone conference with the Barlows this week! It was so sad to see them go, but I’m happy we got to hang with them one last time :)

 ☆ I had an exchange with Elder Olsen this week! He knows SO MUCH about the Manti Utah temple, and it's so awesome to hear special insights that 99% of the population doesn't know (he's helped with the renovations, pageant, open house, basically anything that you could do to be inside the temple in the last 20 years)

 ☆ I got to try pork wellington this week. It was very good!

 ☆ Lastly, I got to conduct a sacrament meeting… in Spanish… with almost no instruction on who was doing what 😅
However, it worked out just fine 🫠

Now for the main story:

Well… I'm not even sure how to feel right now. The ability to process my emotions hasn't come quite yet; it feels as if I'm still in shock.

So, yesterday morning we got a text from the Barlows asking to see us on their way home from the Rotherwood ward (in which they were speaking at). So, we went to the church, and I could just tell Elder McQuiston was struggling so hard. Luckily, we chatted with the Sisters for a little bit and that seemed to uplift him. We also got brownies and ice cream for Father’s Day, which was nice.

Then we were waiting for like 20 minutes for the Barlows to arrive after church got out, just to learn they were at our apartment… 37 minutes away. But, they were willing to wait for us, so something was clearly up.

We get there and Elder McQuiston almost immediately darts to the bathroom (he has a small bladder lol). Actually first we welcomed the Barlows in and we talked about the apartment. As soon as they had a moment alone with me they began praising me and thanking me for my service, especially as a trainer.

When Elder McQuiston came back we then got talking about him. They talked about his state of wellbeing, which I mentioned previously isn't too hot. I of course chimed in when appropriate, but it was quite the conversation to watch unfold before me.

The Barlows proposed a service mission, and then kind of told him there wasn't another option at this time because of his wellbeing. At first he opposed it, but he accepted the new assignment. 

At this time I could just tell a weight was lifted off his shoulders. He seemed at peace. The only thing I could really compare it to is how a body in a casket always looks so peaceful compared to when they are battling illness in the last weeks of their life. Crude, I know, but he was more jovial than I had ever seen him.

I'm very quickly learning that life never goes as you expect. The fact that Elder McQuiston and I have been stripped from the life we've known for the past 8 weeks or so and put where we are now is a testimony that life is incredibly messy. So many things are constantly going awry, and seemingly with no clear reason why.

In a world where the only constant is change, we need a rock to rely on. And oh, how grateful I am for the Rock of our Redeemer!

Trust in the Lord. Follow His will. It will never end up how you expect, but as Bob Ross always said, you'll end up with “happy accidents.” The tapestry of life is like a marble. The only way it can be so beautiful is because of the dark spots.

So, reader, remember this when life gets hard, or gets flipped on its head. I testify that Christ does live and He is here with you; right now, right where you are standing. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Love you all, have a great day!
Elder Clayton

Let's see what pictures I have
Zone conference! 🥳

Comments